Basic Tofu Scramble
Today's basic tofu scramble recipe is one of my few high-protein breakfast staples. It's super easy to whip up, and there are always leftovers that you can eat throughout the week. This is also an ideal recipe for those who perhaps aren't the biggest tofu lovers. I had always been on the fence about tofu and pretty much swore it off for the first year of being vegan, but this dish definitely helped me transition into eating tofu more regularly–it's so packed full of flavor, and because of the great texture, you hardly realize it's tofu.
I like this tofu scramble because it's simple to make and takes very few ingredients, so it's great for busy students on a budget like me! I like to serve it on toast with avocado, but you could also put it in breakfast tacos or even some breakfast burritos with black beans and a cashew sour cream.
Cook time: 10 minutes. Serves 4
- 1 block of firm tofu
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp Just Spices Savory Egg Mix (use meatless10 for 10% off!)
- (alternate spice combo: chives, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grape tomatoes, sliced (or to taste)
- 1 handful of spinach (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Slice green onions and sauté in a large skillet over medium heat while you prepare the tofu.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and break up any large pieces with your spatula.
- Add in in the turmeric, nutritional yeast and spice blend and mix well.
- Slice and add the cherry tomatoes.
- Once the tofu is nearly done (I love when it gets golden brown so I let it sit for a few minutes at a time without stirring) and the tomatoes are soft, add in the spinach and continue cooking until it is wilted. Then remove from heat and serve.