3 Ingredient Lentils
This is a quick recipe I whipped up as an alternative to my highly involved Spanish-style lentils (Recipe to come!). It takes only about 25 minutes to prepare, which mostly depends on how long your lentils take to cook. The key to this recipe is taco seasoning! I discovered this one day when I was making lentils and had run out of my favorite spice, cumin. As I was looking through my spice cabinet to see what I could use to replace it, I stumbled upon a taco seasoning packet which had many of the spices I used in my go-to lentil recipe. The taste came out amazing and now I use taco seasoning in my lentils whenever I'm in a pinch and don't feel like busting out 5+ spices.
I created this recipe during a collaboration I did with my friend Morgan, as part of our $25 per week meal prep. See below to watch the video!
1/2 cup dry green lentils
1.5-2 cups water
- 1/2 cup canned fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbs taco seasoning
- 1 cup of broccoli (optional)
- Nutritional yeast (optional)
- Rinse and drain your lentils and add them to a medium sauce pan along with the water. Bring the water to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 20 minutes until the lentils are tender. At this point, if you wanted to get more fancy with these lentils, you could add in 1 cup of fresh or frozen broccoli.
- Once the lentils are nearly done, add the diced tomatoes and taco seasoning and mix well. Reduce heat and let cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve with rice or bread. I like to top my lentils with lots of nutritional yeast, but that's up to you!
Click here to watch Morgan's video where we made this recipe plus a few others!