Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip (CPK Copycat Recipe)
This is a recipe that is very near and dear to my heart because I have very fond memories of enjoying copious amounts of Spinach Artichoke dip at CPK with my family growing up. I remember fighting over the last bite of the dip with my brother, and always requesting extra bread and chips for dipping, because let's be real, they never give you enough chips! This is the first time that I've eaten anything similar to this dish since going vegan 3 years ago and I have to say it tastes exactly like I remember.
This is in no way a "healthy" recipe! In my mind, there are just some things that should stay unhealthy, vegan or not, and those things include (but are not limited to) baked goods, pancakes and spinach artichoke dip. There is a time and place for low fat, gluten free or whatever free foods, however this is neither the time nor the place. Take this dish to a family cookout to impress your friends and family, or make it at home and eat it alone in the dark while you binge watch Parks and Rec (I may or may not have done that myself).
I adapted this recipe directly from the CPK cookbook so I think this is as close as you're gonna get to the real deal. I swapped out the heavy cream for soy milk, (though you could probably use any plant based milk) left out the butter, and swapped the Monterey jack cheese for a homemade cashew mozzarella. You could always use 1 cup of a store bought vegan mozzarella or Monterey Jack if they have that near you. If you try that out let me know how it goes!
As always, if you try out this recipe I'd love to see your photos. You can tag me on Instagram (@meatlessinnewyork) and I will share my favorite recreations on my Instagram stories! I love hearing your feedback. Enjoy!
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked at least 1 hour)
1 cup water
3 1/2 tbs tapioca starch
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup olive oil
3⁄4 cup diced white onions
1 1⁄2 tbs minced garlic
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup soy milk
3⁄4 cup shredded vegan parmesan (I used Follow Your Heart)
1 1⁄2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp organic sugar
3⁄4 cup vegan sour cream
16 ounces chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and drained.
6 ounces marinated artichoke bottoms, drained and cut into slices
Homemade vegan mozzarella (ingredients above)
3/4 tsp hot sauce
- In a (preferably high speed) blender combine the soaked cashews and water and blend until smooth. Add the tapioca starch, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, salt and garlic powder and blend until fully combined.
- Transfer cashew mixture to a medium size sauce pan over medium high heat, whisking consistently until lumps start to form. Lower heat and continue stirring until the cheese reaches melted mozzarella consistency and is stretchy and smooth. The whole process should take less than 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Spinach Artichoke Dip
- In a large skillet or saucepan, add olive oil and onions and heat over medium heat until the onions become wilted and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in flour, whisking continuously and simmer for 5-10 until the mixture reaches a golden brown consistency and is free of lumps. Add in the vegetable stock, still stirring consistently until fully incorporated and smooth. Bring back to a simmer then stir in the soy milk and bring back to a simmer once again.
- Remove from heat and add in vegan parmesan, lemon juice and sugar and mix well.
- Add vegan sour cream, spinach, artichoke bottoms, vegan mozzarella and hot sauce. Turn the heat back on to medium low and fold in vegan mozzarella until it is fully incorporated into the dip. Add salt to taste.
- Serve as is or put into a heat safe dish and top with extra vegan parmesan and put it under the broiler until the parmesan melts. Serve with tortilla chips or toasted bread.
Like this recipe? Save it to your Pinterest Board for later!
Don't forget to follow Meatless in New York on Instagram!
FTC Disclaimer: Meatless in New York is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. I use these links as an alternative to adsense, so that I can always control the content on my website. Thank you for using my links and supporting what I'm doing here on this blog!